Friday, February 10, 2012

Fur - February 10, 2012

It turned markedly colder overnight. I didn't walk the dog myself this morning, but came home from dropping Daniel off at school and an early meeting, to find Ingrid out walking Anya. She also took her to the dog park this afternoon, which was good as she was very cold when she came back.

Anya doesn't seem to feel the cold. I mean, I know she has all that fur and all, but still... It's 9°F with a 12 mile per hour wind, and it's cold. And she just wants to go sniff stuff.

When Almonzo Wilder took Laura Ingalls out in his sleigh to get to her teaching job a few miles away from town, they wrapped up in buffalo robes. Fur is the stuff you need, as Anya will tell you, and if you want to know how to stay warm in a world before central heating and polarfleece, there's your answer. It's also the first great fortune-maker in North America.

The closest I've come to wearing fur (as far as I know) is the shearling (sheepskin with the fleece still attached) mittens I wore and sadly disappeared a couple years ago. Man, were those great mittens. Ingrid has a shearling jacket she got in Australia, and it too is just the thing when it gets to -10°F. Nothing like an inside-out sheep...

As PETA will tell you, though, there's not much you can do to avoid the the fact that most furs are obtained through techniques that do not do well by the animal. Friends are sending me links about a renewed campaign to end sea clubbing, and an awful lot of the links when you google word combinations with "fur" are anti-fur activist sites.

And so I will stomp out in the freezing air tomorrow and walk Anya in my nice goosedown parka, and call it good...


No comments:

Post a Comment